New Mexico has several types of guardianship: informal, temporary and legal guardianship. Legal guardianship means that a caretaker has legal custody of a child, similar to legal custody courts might grant a parent after divorce.
LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP RIGHTS IN ALBUQUERQUE, NM. LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES IN NEW MEXICO
If you are legal guardian to a child, it means you are responsible for the child’s:
- Health care: Legal guardianship means you can make medical decisions, including treatments, counseling and therapy.
- Education: You will choose the child’s school, including any Individualized Education Programs. You may also help the child choose extracurricular activities.
- Financial support: You must support the child financially, however, you may be eligible for help in the form of welfare, foster care payments and other social services.
- Living situation: You may be permitted to move with the child if you obtain permission from the Court ahead of time.
- Driver’s license: You may give the child permission to obtain a driver’s license, however, you will have to pay for any damages if the child is in an accident.
- Armed forces: You may give the child permission to join the armed forces if he or she is under 18.
- Marriage: If the child is under 18, you must have permission from the Court to allow the child to marry.
There are many legal avenues for obtaining some form of guardianship for the best interests of a child, including temporary guardianship and powers of attorney. The family law attorneys at Terry & deGraauw, P.C., can help you understand all of your legal rights and options when it comes to guardianship in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
CONTACT OUR ALBUQUERQUE FAMILY LAW SPECIALISTS
The attorneys at Terry & deGraauw, P.C., are Supreme Court certified family law specialists who possess in-depth knowledge and experience in all areas of family law, including divorce, guardianship, adoption and custody issues. Discover your rights and responsibilities as a legal guardian by calling our Albuquerque, New Mexico family law firm. Contact us to schedule an initial consultation today.